UNM Office of Equal Opportunity
MSC05 3150
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
Phone: (505) 277-5251
Fax: (505) 277-1356

Office Hours
8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
609 Buena Vista Drive NE
Map and directions


Are all ages protected?
No. University policy and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibit discrimination against individuals who are 40 and over in both the academic and employment settings.

What is a Hostile Work Environment?
A hostile work, living, or any other type of environment is one in which an employee, student, patient, or any other participant in a University activity is subject to unwelcome and unwanted disparaging or derogatory conduct that is based on one (or more) of the protected classes. The conduct has to be sufficiently pervasive or severe so as to create an offensive, intimidating, threatening, or hostile environment.

How is pregnancy protected under University policy and state and federal law?
Pregnancy (also protected under the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA) prohibits discrimination in all employment related practices and decisions (including benefits and fringe benefits) based on pregnancy, childbirth, or any related medical condition. Therefore, women affected by pregnancy or related conditions must be treated in the same manner as other applicants or employees with similar abilities or limitations.

Do I have to follow a particular chain of command to complain about illegal discrimination or sexual harassment?
No. If you have concerns or complaints of illegal discrimination or sexual harassment, you may go to any supervisor with that concern or you may go directly to the OEO or Human Resources.

Can a supervisor or anyone else retaliate against me for having complained to the OEO?
The University has an anti-retaliation policy under which all individuals who initiate or participate in an OEO/AA proceeding are protected, including witnesses who cooperate with an OEO proceeding, individuals who make a request for disability accommodation, or individuals who assert the civil rights of another. If you feel as though action has been taken against you for having initiated or participated in an OEO proceeding, you may file a complaint with the OEO.